Another Food That I Can't Eat

Over the last 30 years, one-by-one, I've become chemically sensitive to foods that contain additives.  It started with a hot dog.  After I ate it, I went into anaphylactic shock.  With severe hives that swelled my face with ugly blotches and extreme digestive upset, I learned that I could no longer eat hotdogs.

After this experience, there were more and more meals that produced the same result.  I soon began to realize that processed foods were a big no-no.  Then, I learned to take Benadryl to stop the reactions.  The doctor also prescribed the Epi-Pen to keep me safe from the severe effects, like blacking out from anaphylaxis.

Can't Eat

My list of bad foods grew longer and longer.  I became afraid to eat anything.  I found that I could eat tuna and simple carbs, so I ate a lot of them.  My diet wasn't giving me much nutrition, but at least I wasn't sick.

I began to learn about auto-immunity and things that I was sensitive to, other than additives in processed food.  During this time, I began to give up dairy products.  We also changed our use of chemicals in the home.  Instead of fragrances and scented products we switched to unscented.  If we noticed an auto with black smoke exhaust, we immediately shut off the ac or heat in our car.  This kept the fumes from coming in and making me sick.


The past ten years have been good.  As I've found organic foods it's been easier to eat more things.  I found organic beef, turkey and chicken.  Most of my other foods are made from scratch, but we occasionally eat out.  This can be risky, and sometimes I still have an allergic reaction.  I keep Benadryl and my Epi-Pen handy at all times.

I'm sad to say, but the organic chicken I've eaten the last two times is now causing reactions.  That's my warning to stop eating chicken, unless I start raising them myself.  Unless I know that there are no additives, I won't be eating it.  Ugh!  What a disappointment!

Chicken Dinner

Having Multiple Chemical Sensitivities is common with those of us having Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  Our overactive Mast Cells sense chemicals and attack us, trying to get rid of the "danger".  The huge release of histamine and other chemicals causes big problems!

So, goodbye, dear chicken.  I'll miss you.
@2017, copyright Lisa Ehrman


  1. I couldn't imagine! I hope you are managing this well now.

    1. It's an ongoing problem, but I've been managing pretty well. Thanks :)